Since Sobeys bought Safeway, it’s been a disaster!
Sobeys’ chronic mismanagement has caused empty shelves, understaffing, poor quality products and long line ups, all of which have alienated customers and caused dramatic market share losses. Help us save this beloved BC grocery store and important member of the community. Get informed and help us tell management to SAVE OUR SAFEWAY!
A chronology of Sobeys’ mismanagement of a once-great BC grocery store and our efforts to save it.
- February 9, 2018: Sobeys declares war on Safeway workers, collective agreement
- January 23, 2018: Sobeys announces 10 store closures on eve of negotiations: Union won’t be bullied
- January 19, 2018: Bargaining committee gets to work; Sobeys cancels first meeting
- January 17, 2018: Sobeys picks fight with Western Canada workers: UFCW locals stand in solidarity
- December 18, 2017: President Limpright announces bargaining committees
- December 14, 2017: A message from the President: We will fight Sobeys
- December 14, 2017: UFCW 1518 wins against Sobeys at the LRB – again
- December 14, 2017: Sobeys goes to Labour Board instead of working with members
- December 04, 2017: Sobeys violates contract and loses at arbitration – twice
- December 04, 2017: #MembersFirst conference focuses on solutions
- November 08, 2017: Trailer Party at Safeway!
- October 12, 2017: #MembersFirst: Major foods bargaining outreach launched
- June 13, 2017: Sobeys threatens 20 Safeway stores with Quarterly Review
Safeway Shoppers Speak
- February 1, 2018 This super smart Safeway customer calls Sobeys actions union busting in a letter that went viral on social media: Sobeys wants cheap labour in Richmond
Occasionally we talk to the media. And they listen.
- February 1, 2018: Sobeys begins illegal lockout of hundreds of workers – says union
- January 23, 2018: On eve of negotiations, Sobeys announces 10 store closures: 1000 British Columbians will be impacted
- January 17, 2018: Sobeys picks fight with Western Canada workers: Seeks poverty concessions & walks away
Some letters exchanged with Sobeys.
- February 13, 2018: In which we ask Sobeys, yet again, for detailed financial info to proceed with Section 54 talks
- February 5, 2018: In which we invoke our right of first refusal under the collective agreement to purchase the 10 Safeway stores slated for closure
- February 5, 2018: In which Sobeys tells us they’ve given us all the information we need
- February 5, 2018: In which we ask Sobeys for more information to adequately bargain
- February 5, 2108: In which we inform Sobeys of our legal right to leaflet under the BC Labour Code and the Canadian Charter of Rights & Freedoms
- January 26, 2018: In which Sobeys threatens that if the union doesn’t agree to an “appropriate discount banner collective agreement…there will be no discount stores opened in BC”
- January 24, 2018: In which Sobeys says they want to run concurrent negotiations: Safeway & FreshCo
- January 23, 2018: In which Sobeys informs us they intend to close 10 stores across the lower mainland
- January 19, 2018: In which we reiterate to Sobeys our request for information & suggest bargaining dates
- October 12, 2017: In which we ask Sobeys for financial information in order to preparing for bargaining
- October 12, 2017: In which we respond to Sobeys’ notice to bargain
- June 12, 2017: In which Sobeys informs us of their intent to put 20 Safeway stores on quarterly review
Grievance & Arbitration Awards
We take Sobeys to the Labour Board when they violate the collective agreement.
- We won more than $300,000 in vacation pay owed our lower paid members: Sobeys Grid B Vacation Pay Entitlement Award (Sobeys applied for a stay so they would not have to pay out the monies owed while they appealed the decision. They lost that application and their appeal)
- Sobeys Job Posting Grievance
- Sobeys Store Closure Grievance
- February 1, 2018: UFCW 1518 Ilegal Lockout Complaint
- We filed an illegal lockout complaint after Sobeys announced it would close 10 stores across the lower mainland and served 660 members with termination letters:
- September 14, 2017: Empire’s Fiscal 2018 First Quarter Results
- The Q1 results for Sobeys’ parent company show “stabilizing margins, good cost control and an increase in same-store sales” and all shareholders received a dividend.