Why Join UFCW 1518?
Workers at Grouse Mountain deserve to be treated with fairness. You deserve fair wages and benefits, job security and a schedule you can count on. Joining UFCW 1518 means you have the power of a union behind you when fighting for what you deserve. Joining our union means we fight for fairness together, using the collective agreement, which defines your rights and outlines a process for ensuring you are treated with respect and dignity.
Ready for positive change at work?
What Members Say
How do I Join UFCW 1518?
1. Union Support Cards
- Working with staff from our union, you and the majority of your co-workers (45%) sign a support card indicating you would like the BC Labour Relations Board to hold a unionization vote at your workplace.
- This process is confidential. Your employer will never have the right to know who did or did not sign. Your employer cannot legally take action against anyone for signing a card.
2. Secret Ballot Vote
- When a majority of your co-workers have signed a union card, the BC Labour Relations Board will hold a secret ballot vote to form a union at your workplace.
- Vote “Yes” to join the union.
3. Collective Agreement Proposals
- You and your co-workers submit proposals as to what should be the new collective agreement in your workplace.
- Your new contract will spell out wages, benefits, respect and job security.
The most important thing to know is that every British Columbian has the right to join a union.
The BC Labour Relations Code ensures you have the following legal rights.
- You are free to decide to join or not join a union.
- Your employer cannot fire you, suspend you, transfer you, lay you off, refuse to continue employing you or otherwise discriminate against you for being involved with the process of forming a union.
- You are free to express your views on unionization without reprisal.
Don’t let the employer’s anti-union tactics get to you. You have questions, we have answers:
- Will my employer know if I signed a union membership card?
- No, your employer will never see or find out who signed the cards, just as they will never know if you voted. The entire process is designed by the government to be anonymous.
- I signed a union membership card, am I unionized now?
- No, we need to win the secret ballot vote for that to happen. The union relies on card signers to vote in favour of joining UFCW 1518, so if you sign please show up to the vote!
- Can I get fired for supporting a union?
- No, this would be illegal. However, in the unlikely event that a supporter is terminated because of their support for joining UFCW, we will hire a lawyer to represent supporters at no cost to them. UFCW will not tolerate any employer violating workers’ rights to form a union.
- I am happy with the way things are now. Why do I need a union?
- Securing what you have today into a legally binding contract ensures that what you like about your job stays that way even if there is a change of management and even ownership. Belonging to a union also creates a support network: Stewards, union representatives, negotiators and lawyers will be there to ensure your fair treatment at work.
- How much does this cost?
- There is no cost to join until your first collective agreement is voted in. Once you start benefiting from it, your dues will be no more than 2% of your earnings. Union dues are 100% tax deductible.
- What positive changes can a union make to my job?
- Union members decide on what changes your union will try to make but below is what we’re hearing from Grouse Workers:
- All the time spent travelling on the tram should be paid. It is unfair that your employer doesn’t start paying workers as soon as they check in at the base of the mountain. Joining a UFCW 1518 will give Grouse Workers the power to change this unfair practice!
- Fair scheduling system – With workers having multiple jobs, school and trying to have a life last minute schedule changes are stressful and disrespectful to workers. Joining a union will create the opportunity for workers to have a say on how scheduling should occur.
- Tips Accountability – Allowing management to have completed control over how tips are collected and dispersed will likely result in workers being ripped off. With a union, a clear procedure on tip collection will be established that can’t be arbitrarily changed by management.
- Your length of service (seniority) should mean something and a union can help ensure that long-serving staff gain incentives to continue working at Grouse Mountain.
- Poor treatment by management – Nothing works better than workers coming together to ensure management respects them. However, it never hurts to have some professional union representatives and lawyers on your side too. Together, we will ensure that all workers are treated with dignity and respect.
Contact Us in Confidence
Your employer will never know that you contacted our union.
More questions? Concerns? Get in touch with our professional union organizers today by writing an email to [email protected] or calling 1-888-581-1518.
Ready for positive change at work?