Ready for positive change at work?
Why Join UFCW 1518?
Workers in Whistler deserve to be treated with fairness. You deserve fair wages and benefits, job security and a schedule you can count on. Joining UFCW 1518 means you have the power of a union behind you when fighting for what you deserve. Joining our union means we fight for fairness together, using the collective agreement, which defines your rights and outlines a process for ensuring you are treated with respect and dignity.
What Members Say
How do I Join UFCW 1518?
1. Union Support Cards
- Working with staff from our union, you and the majority of your co-workers (45%) sign a support card indicating you would like the BC Labour Relations Board to hold a unionization vote at your workplace.
- This process is confidential. Your employer will never have the right to know who did or did not sign. Your employer cannot legally take action against anyone for signing a card.
2. Secret Ballot Vote
- When a majority of your co-workers have signed a union card, the BC Labour Relations Board will hold a secret ballot vote to form a union at your workplace.
- Vote “Yes” to join the union.
3. Collective Agreement Proposals
- You and your co-workers submit proposals as to what should be the new collective agreement in your workplace.
- Your new contract will spell out wages, benefits, respect and job security.
The most important thing to know is that every British Columbian has the right to join a union.
The BC Labour Relations Code ensures you have the following legal rights.
- You are free to decide to join or not join a union.
- Your employer cannot fire you, suspend you, transfer you, lay you off, refuse to continue employing you or otherwise discriminate against you for being involved with the process of forming a union.
- You are free to express your views on unionization without reprisal.
Don’t let the employer’s anti-union tactics get to you. You have questions, we have answers:
- Why is this happening at Fairmont Whistler?
- UFCW was contacted by some of your co-workers and asked to assist them to gain the power to negotiate long-lasting improvements to their jobs. This is achieved by becoming unionized.
- Are other Fairmont worksites unionized?
- Yes, many Fairmont’s are already unionized and are continuing to operate normally with the addition of workers having the power to improve their working conditions and ensure their suggestions are heard by all levels of management.
- Will my gratuities be effected?
- Banquets: With a union employees control the percentage Fairmont must charge clients (autograt) on events and how these tips are distributed. Without a union, management can decrease or even eliminate the requirement for clients to tip.
- All others tip receivers: A union will end the secrets about how tips are distributed and will create a transparent gratuity distribution process that is approved by the workforce. Your union also has the power to audit Fairmont’s records to guarantee that employees are getting everything they are entitled too.
- What’s the purpose of joining a union? How do unions work?
- Unions are about workers coming together to fight for fairness in the workplace. Nobody should have to put up with unfairness but it is difficult to stand up to management on your own! Unions bargain with employers on behalf of members and negotiate fair labour contracts. They have a democratic structure with leaders elected from the membership. They are organizations made up of working people for working people.
- This is my first year working here. Can I still join a union?
- Yes, your length of service does not affect your ability to join UFCW 1518.
- Can part-time employees join too? What if I’m not Canadian or a permanent resident?
- Yes, part-time employees and temporary workers on a visa can join too. The only requirement is that you are an employee.
- I will not be returning to work next year. Why should I join?
- The first step in making the world a better place is taking action to make it better. By signing up and voting yes to joining UFCW 1518 you will be helping your co-workers and your entire industry create better jobs for everyone tomorrow.
- Can I get fired for supporting a union?
- No, this would be illegal. The entire unionization process is also designed by the government to be confidential. Your employer will never find out how you voted or if you signed a union card. UFCW 1518 will not tolerate any employer violating workers’ rights to form a union and will take legal action if needed.
- How much does this cost?
- There is no cost to join until your first collective agreement is voted in. Once you start benefiting from it, your dues will be no more than 2% of your earnings. Union dues are 100% tax deductible. The higher wages, rights and benefits that come with unionization are well worth the small cost associated with participating!
- Will I have to pay union dues if I don’t return next season?
- No dues for you! Only the people working after a collective agreement is negotiated and voted in, which may take time, will pay dues.
Contact Us in Confidence
Your employer will never know that you contacted our union.
More questions? Concerns? Get in touch with our professional union organizers today by writing an email to [email protected] or calling 250.812.3724. You can also check our Faceboook page and Instagram account for up-to-date information on this campaign.
Ready for positive change at work?