Why Join UFCW 1518?
Lifestyle Market workers deserve fairness at work through improved wages and benefits, job security and a strong voice at work. Joining UFCW 1518 puts the power of a union behind you, fighting for what you deserve. We will work together to create long-lasting improvements to your job, using the collective agreement to protect your rights and outline a process for ensuring you are treated with respect & dignity.
What Members Say
How do I Join UFCW 1518?
1. Union Support Cards
- Working with staff from our union, you and the majority of your co-workers (45%) sign a support card indicating you would like the BC Labour Relations Board to hold a unionization vote at your workplace.
- This process is confidential. Your employer will never have the right to know who did or did not sign. Your employer cannot legally take action against anyone for signing a card.
2. Secret Ballot Vote
- When a majority of your co-workers have signed a union card, the BC Labour Relations Board will hold a secret ballot vote to form a union at your workplace.
- Vote “Yes” to join the union.
3. Collective Agreement Proposals
- You and your co-workers submit proposals as to what should be the new collective agreement in your workplace.
- Your new contract will spell out wages, benefits, respect and job security.
The most important thing to know is that every British Columbian has the right to join a union.
The BC Labour Relations Code ensures you have the following legal rights.
- You are free to decide to join or not join a union.
- Your employer cannot fire you, suspend you, transfer you, lay you off, refuse to continue employing you or otherwise discriminate against you for being involved with the process of forming a union.
- You are free to express your views on unionization without reprisal.
Don’t let the employer’s anti-union tactics get to you. You have questions, we have answers:
Why is this happening at Lifestyles Market?
- UFCW 1518 was contacted by some of your co-workers and asked to assist them to gain the power to negotiate long-lasting improvements to their jobs. This is achieved by becoming unionized.
What’s the purpose of joining a union? How do unions work?
- Unions are about workers coming together to gain collective power! With the assistance of a union, workers bargain with employers and negotiate fair labour contracts and make sure those contracts are enforced.
Will my employer know if I signed a union membership card?
- No, your employer will never see or find out who signed the cards, just as they will never know if you voted. The entire process is designed by the government to be anonymous.
Can I get fired for supporting a union?
- No, this would be illegal. However, in the unlikely event that a supporter is terminated because of their support for joining UFCW, we will hire a lawyer to represent supporters at no cost to them. UFCW will not tolerate any employer violating workers’ rights to form a union.
I am happy with the way things are now. Why do I need a union?
- Securing what you have today into a legally binding contract ensures that what you like about your job stays that way even if there is a change of management and even ownership. Belonging to a union also creates a support network: Stewards, union representatives, negotiators and lawyers will be there to ensure your fair treatment at work.
What positive changes can a union make to my job?
- You and your co-workers decide on what changes your union will try to make, below are some of the things we are hearing from Lifestyles Market workers:
- A strong bullying and harassment policy
- Representation and advocacy support when going into a meeting with management
- A wage scale with increases based on time worked
- Health and Dental benefits
How much does this cost?
- There is no cost to join until your first collective agreement is voted in. Once you start benefiting from it, your dues will be no more than 2% of your wages. Union dues are 100% tax deductible. The higher wages, rights and benefits that come with unionization are well worth the small cost associated with participating!
I signed a union membership card, am I unionized now?
- No, we need to win the secret ballot vote for that to happen. The union relies on card signers to vote in favour of joining UFCW 1518, so if you sign please show up to the vote!
Contact Us in Confidence
Your employer will never know that you contacted our union.
More questions? Concerns? Get in touch with our professional union organizers today by writing an email to [email protected] or calling 1-888-581-1518.
Ready for positive change at work?