UFCW 1518 continues to prepare for its upcoming meetings with Special Officer Vince Ready to deal with the union’s appeal for assistance in negotiations with Sobeys. President Ivan Limpright appealed to the Minister of Labour to intervene when negotiations with the company stalled in March.
‘”Our goal remains the same: to negotiate a fair and reasonable contract that protects our members’ job security, entitlements and rights. It’s really simple,” said President Ivan Limpright.
“Even though our members didn’t create the many problems that Safeway is facing, they know how to fix them. Unfortunately, we are dealing with a company that is fundamentally disrespectful to the people who built Safeway,” Limpright explained. “Still, my hope is that Sobeys will engage in the mediation process in good faith and with a desire to resolve our outstanding issues.”
UFCW 1518, Mr. Ready and Sobeys next meet on May 28 and 30. Read on for a chronology of events leading up to the current dispute with Sobeys.
A chronology of Sobeys’ mismanagement of a once-great BC grocery store and our efforts to save it.
- May 4, 2018: Mediation with Special Officer set for May
- April 10, 2018: Special officer orders Safeway stores to remain open until July 5
- April 3, 2018: Government appoints Special Officer in Sobeys dispute
- March 19, 2018: Union appeals to Minister of Labour as Sobeys bargaining falters
- March 8, 2018: Union presents solutions, Sobeys offers no response
- March 1, 2018: Sobeys bows to union pressure as bargaining continues
- February 21, 2018: Union files another complaint against Sobeys as transfer talks stall
- February 9, 2018: Sobeys declares war on Safeway workers, collective agreement
- January 23, 2018: Sobeys announces 10 store closures on eve of negotiations: Union won’t be bullied
- January 19, 2018: Bargaining committee gets to work; Sobeys cancels first meeting
- January 17, 2018: Sobeys picks fight with Western Canada workers: UFCW locals stand in solidarity
- December 18, 2017: President Limpright announces bargaining committees
- December 14, 2017: A message from the President: We will fight Sobeys
- December 14, 2017: UFCW 1518 wins against Sobeys at the LRB – again
- December 14, 2017: Sobeys goes to Labour Board instead of working with members
- December 04, 2017: Sobeys violates contract and loses at arbitration – twice
- December 04, 2017: #MembersFirst conference focuses on solutions
- November 08, 2017: Trailer Party at Safeway!
- October 12, 2017: #MembersFirst: Major foods bargaining outreach launched
- June 13, 2017: Sobeys threatens 20 Safeway stores with Quarterly Review