Workers at Avalon Dairy Win Major Contract Improvements
Ninety percent of voting workers at Avalon Dairy voted “yes” to a new contract that will bring major improvements to their workplace.
Avalon Dairy workers became members of UFCW 1518 in March 2021 and began the process of negotiating their first collective agreement shortly after.
With today’s “yes” vote, Avalon workers have won:
- Union representation, including a procedure for grievances so workplace problems can be resolved.
- New health & safety provisions including a Joint Health & Safety Committee.
- Respectful workplace language that ensures workers are treated with respect.
- Seniority and hiring and promotion provisions to make the workplace fairer.
- An increase in the safety boot allowance to $150.00 per year.
- Vision care coverage of $200.00 every twenty-four months.
- Sick days increased to three days a year. Workers can also carry unused sick days over for one year.
- Major wage growth on the following schedule:
- Year 1: A new wage classification system that will result in a minimum of a 2% wage increase, but for most members will result in a significantly higher increase.
- Year 2: 2% wages increase
- Year 3: 2.25% wage increase
“Workers at Avalon have proved the power of collective action with this strong new contract,” said UFCW 1518 President Kim Novak. “Their solidarity is an inspiration to workers throughout the industrial food sector to stand up for better working conditions and wages.”
Avalon Dairy workers are the latest to join the industrial food division of UFCW 1518. If you are interested in joining a union and fighting for better wages and working conditions, learn more at ufcw1518.com/join-us.