Workers at Matchstick Coffee locations across Vancouver came together last year to demand respect, fairness, and better working conditions at the popular coffee chain.
Since officially joining UFCW 1518 in November, they have been hard at work at the bargaining table fighting for critical workplace improvements. Their efforts came to fruition recently as they ratified a strong first collective agreement featuring many benefits for these baristas, bakers, and coffee roasters.
Some highlights of the new contract include:
- Wage increases that are retroactive to June 6, 2021
- A new wage progression with raises at 6 months and 18 months of employment
- Paid meal breaks and rest periods so workers can recharge
- A new option to bank their vacation pay
- 3 weeks vacation at 3 years of employment
- Access to Health Spending Account
- One more paid sick day in the Health Spending Account
- Scheduling by Seniority
- Joint Labour Management Meetings – a new avenue to promote a more harmonious relationship between management and employees
The workers at Matchstick have been inspiring cafe workers across the province to stand up for their rights. Their solidarity and dedication to fairness saw them through the organizing and bargaining process and helped them make a positive impact in their workplace.
Cafe workers who want to learn more about the benefits of joining a union can learn more at ufcw1518.com/cafe-workers-united.