Reopener ends with a successful ratification
Grocery workers employed at the sole Save-On-Foods in the Yukon secured significant improvements to their working conditions last week, after concluding a contract reopener with the west-coast grocer.
This is the first reopener since the contract was first established and included big gains:
- Significant Wage increases for all staff, including:
- A big bump to starting rates
- Increases to top rates for part-time and full-time workers
- A new and improved wage grid for pharmacy assistants
- A single wage grid for all employees
- Improvements to vacation.
- Night shift premium ($2.50)
- Options for lunch breaks (either 30 minutes or 60 minutes)
Established a pathway to cross classification so employees are able to work across areas and capture more hours.
As more and more UFCW 1518 collective agreements near expiry, workers at major grocers across the mainland and the Island are building capacity. At Save-On-Foods stores in BC, staff are working together and completing their bargaining surveys, where they are telling the employer what they need in their respective communities to make grocery jobs better and fairer.