Workers at Sointula Co-Op sent in a ringing endorsement of a new collective agreement that will bring major improvements to their workplace.
100% of voters said “yes” to the new contract. These retail workers came together and bargained hard for important contract gains, including:
- Wage increases between 8.3% and 30% over the life of the 4-year agreement
- For the first year, wage increases range as high as $4.25. The majority of the members will be earning at least $2/hr above the living wage for the area
- Retroactive pay on all wage increases to May 31, 2021
- Minimum wage adjustment so that no member ever falls to a minimum wage again
- Increased hours restriction, up to twice per year
- Easier access to educational leave (down to 2 years)
- New Shop Steward Orientation on paid employer time
“The bargaining committee at Sointula worked hard to get major improvements that will help with the increasing cost of living,” said UFCW 1518 Negotiator Stephen Portman. “They showed what workers are capable of achieving when they stand together and demand better.”
Congratulations to workers at Sointula on their new contract and a big thank you to Bargaining Committee members Janet Pohto and Monty Hals.
If you work in retail and are interested in improving your workplace, learn more at ufcw1518.com/join-us.